News‎ > ‎

Yachts challenged by light winds as the JBCYC Round the Bay Series kicks off

posted Oct 20, 2019, 10:50 PM by David Churchward

The Jervis Bay Cruising Yacht Club held the 1st race in this seasons Tahmoor Rural Round the Bay Series on Sunday 13th October. The race also counted as round 2 of the Mountain Ridge Wines Spring Series. Undeterred by the forecast light winds, a fleet of 14 yachts took to a course circling the Northern section of Jervis Bay.

With the showers from the previous few days clearing to bright sunshine there was a light 6 knot South to South West wind, and a 1.5-meter Southerly swell rolling through the bay, when the racing commenced. The fleet was split into two divisions with 7 larger Division 1 yachts tackling a 12.3 nautical mile course, and the smaller Division 2 vessels taking on 7.5 nautical mile circuit. 

The Division 2 boats started first with Steve Lee in Y-knot, an Elliot 5.9, making the most of the light conditions. After leading the field around the 1stmark he continued to pull away as he headed down the bay. Pat Grogan in Sirocco and Peter Cowman in Double Time followed closely behind Y-knot.

As the yachts turned East and headed across the bay Double Time challenged Sirocco for second place, eventually passing 100 meters before turning and going down wind. With the wind behind them Sirocco flew their spinnaker, and with the extra speed ran back past Double time.

The winds varied, swinging to the ENE then back to SE again. At times it gusted up over 10 knots, then dropped away again.

Y-knot continued to stretch its lead crossing the finish line 1st in 2 hours and 8 minutes; 15 minutes ahead of Sirocco, which crossed less than 5 minutes ahead of Double Time. Once the handicaps were applied the results changed significantly with Peter Cowman (Double Time) 1st, Trevor Smith (Relentless) 2nd and Pat Grogan (Sirocco) 3rd.

In Division 1 Out of the Blue, skippered by Paul Gooey got the best start, beating the others to the 1st mark. The Navy entry, Friendship, skippered by Rod Targa chased Out of the Blue as they raced South. When Out of the Blue had to tack, to clear a reef marker, Friendship got passed into the lead. 

As the boats approached Huskisson, Friendship and Out of the Blue tacked early heading East across the bay ahead of the other Division 1 boats. As the rest of the Division 1 fleet headed South, they were caught in light winds. With the bulk of the fleet making very slow progress the Division 1 course was shortened. 

Friendship was the 1st Division 1 yacht to cross the finish line in 2 hours 54 minutes, 20 minutes ahead of Out of the Blue crossing second. After the application of handicaps Paul Gooey (Out of the Blue) took 1st place with Rod Targa (Friendship) 2nd and Trevor Kanaar (Invincible)3rd

Glen Pead (Media Officer)