News‎ > ‎

Race fleet tussle in round four of Summer Series

posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:54 PM by David Churchward   [ updated Feb 11, 2019, 9:54 PM ]

Sunday 10thFebruary saw the running of the fourth round of the Jervis Bay Cruising Yacht Club’s Callala & Culburra First National Summer Series.

A fleet of 12 Yachts took to Jervis Bay in a steady 10 knot breeze. The five larger Division 1 yachts raced along a 12.7 nautical mile course, with the seven smaller Division 2 boats tackling a slightly shorter, 10.7 nautical mile, circuit.  

The Navy entry, Franklin, helmed by Brendon Blank made an impressive start beating the rest of the fleet to the first mark. Franklin then hauled away from the field. Alan Leach, skippering Tranquillity, was in second place but unable to mount a serious challenge as Franklin continued to extend its lead.

In Division 1 Franklin crossed the finish line first in 1 hour 54 minutes, just over 10 minutes ahead of Tranquillity that crossed second. Paul Gooey in Out of the Blue crossed third a further five minutes after Tranquillity.

Once the Division 1 handicaps were applied Paul Gooey, Out of the Blue, took 1stplace with Brendon Blank, Franklin 2nd. Third place on handicap was taken by Trevor Kanaar in Invincible. 

The racing was much closer in Division 2 with Pat Grogan in Sirocco getting off to the best start and beating the other yachts in the division to the first mark. Elements helmed by Rod Chittendon then raced past Sirocco and continued to stretch their lead. 

The smallest yacht in the race, John Andersons Laser 3 was in third, just ahead of the much larger Relentless, skippered by Trevor Smith. As they headed South along the bay Relentless passed Laser 3, but Laser 3 got in front again after they turned West and raced across the bay. Both yachts were neck and neck going into the final leg of the race, then as the breeze piked up to 15 knots the larger Relentless was able to pull away. Relentless eventually beat Laser 3 across the line by just over four minutes.

Elements was the first Division 2 yacht to cross the finish line in 2 hours and 8 minutes, 10 minutes ahead of Sirocco with Relentless a further 2 minutes behind. Denis Meredith, Wotalife, was the last Division 2 yacht to cross the finish line; but thanks to a significant handicap was declared the race winner. Rod Chittendon, Elements, was 2ndon handicap and Trevor Smith, Relentless, took 3rdplace.

The post-race festivities saw the winners presented with some fine wines from Crooked River Wines, who sponsors the annual Club Championship.

Paul Gooey, Out of the Blue, now leads the Summer Series in Division 1 and Rod Chittendon, Elements, leads the series in Division 2. Other members of the fleet are still in contention for the series win, with the winners of both divisions set to be decided at the clubs next race on March 3rd.