News‎ > ‎

Close racing as the Jervis Bay Cruising Yacht Club kicks off 2019

posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:47 PM by David Churchward

Jervis Bay Cruising Yacht Club’s first race for 2019 was run on Sunday 13th. Despite the grey sky and southerly winds, a large fleet of thirteen yachts competed in the second round of the JBCYC Callala & Culburra First National Summer Series. 

The race was also the second in the seasons Round the Bay Series, sponsored by Tahmoor Rural. The course circumnavigated Jervis Bay clockwise from Callala Bay. Six larger yachts were entered in Division 1 and competed on a 17 nautical mile course and seven smaller Division 2 yachts tackled a slightly shorter, 15.3 nautical mile, course 

The race began in a 15 knot SW wind and a rolling SE swell. Alan Leach in the catamaran Tranquillity beat the rest of the fleet to the first mark and led down the bay as they raced into the wind. 

As the Division 1 yachts passed the southern end of Long Beach, Franklin, the Navy entry helmed by Brendon Blank, slipped into the lead and stayed ahead as the fleet turned west at Longnose Point and headed across the bay.

With the wind at times nearing 20 knots Franklin held its lead racing across the southern end of the bay with Tranquillity and Sojourn 3, skippered by Rick Early, close behind. Tranquillity overtook Franklin at the race’s southern most mark and held its lead as they raced back up the bay with the wind behind them.

With the wind dropping to 10 knots and shifting south Trevor Kanaar in Invincible hoisted his spinnaker, trying to make up ground on the leading yachts. And Paul Gooey, helming Out of the Blue, chased Invincible.

Tranquillity was the first Division 1 yacht to cross the finish line, in 2 hours 59 minutes, less than a minute ahead of Franklin. Sojourn 3 crossed third just over one minute behind Franklin. Once handicaps were applied however; Paul Gooey, Out of the Blue took 1stplace in the division with Trevor Kanaar, Invincible, 2ndand Rick Early, Sojourn 3, 3rd.

The racing in Division 2 was extremely close. Sirroco, helmed by Pip Davies, beat the other yachts in the division to round the first mark and led down the eastern side of the bay to Long Beach. Element, skippered by Rod Chittendon, passed Sirroco at the bottom of Long Beach, with Trevor Smith’s boat Relentless close behind. The three yachts all swapping the lead as they raced south to Longnose Point. 

As the Division 2 yachts turned and headed west across the bay Element led and began pulling way and had a considerable lead as the yacht turned north at Vincentia and headed back to Callala Bay. With the wind behind them Sirroco began flying its spinnaker and started catching Element.

Element was the first Division 2 yacht to cross the finish line, less than a minute ahead of Sirroco with Relentless just over five minutes further back. Trevor Smith, Relentless, was awarded 1stplace once handicaps were applied with Rod Chittendon, Element 2nd. Sirroco, despite its great race was only completing its first race for the club and was not eligible for a handicap yet so 3rdplace went to Peter Cowman, Double Time.

Following the race, the winners were presented with some fine wines from Crooked River Wines, who sponsor the annual Club Championship.